Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bangkok Life


I thought I'd try to summarize my first impressions and experiences in Bangkok as a new resident. They say that the population of Bangkok, with outlying areas totals around 10 million people. The largest city I've lived in is Salt Lake City with a population of about 1 million if you count the whole valley! While I knew that Bangkok was big I really couldn't imagine how bit that was. I've been to big cities before but to live in one is another story. But I like a new adventure so off I went to the Big Mango!

After a very long flight I arrived at the airport, found my luggage and made my way to the taxi stand. This was supposed to be where I could find a "fair" taxi who would use the meter and not overcharge me. I had so much luggage I was swimming in it! My taxi driver spoke no English. He took me to my hotel which was about a 30 minute drive and then came the price. He charged me 600 Baht or about $18. I was pretty sure I was being overcharged but what could I do? I paid the money and entered the hotel. I was given a key card for my room on the 28th floor. The view from my hotel room reveals a numerous sky scrapers, lots of construction and a view of the sky train. A thin layer of heat and humidity blankets the city.

Thailand is a Buddhist country. They believe the spirits of their ancestors live and that it's important to keep them cared for. For this reason there are shrines and spirit houses everywhere...outside homes, construction sites, on corners. One day as I was walking down the street I noticed a crowd of people and some music. I looked to see a large shrine and people kneeling around it making various offerings. Some offered flowers, others food and others let loose birds in cages. Off to the side there was traditional music and dancing to add to the spiritual atmosphere. I sat and watched as people came, made their offerings, prayed and went on their way. At one point a mother came in with her son. She showed him how to make his offering and pray. It was quite beautiful to watch a mother pass her tradition on to her son.

Walking through the city fills your nostrils with a variety of smells. Some of them pleasant...others more on the unpleasant side. There are street vendors crammed side by side along sidewalks selling foods of various types. Many of them are barbecued meats and fried fish which I haven't been brave enough to try. Some of them are fruit vendors who will cut up watermelon, mangos, pineapple and numerous fruits i don't know in English (or in Thai!) and put them in a plastic bag with a wooden skewer for your eating pleasure. mmmmmm.... my mouth is watering just thinking about it! Lyn, I think of you every time I eat the pineapple (Cheri, i think of you every time I see a rat run across the sidewalk!! eeewwww!!). And there are the vendors with the deserts...again, most of them I haven't tried but the barbecued bananas drowned in condensed milk....mmm.mmmm.mmmm! And the ice cream with sticky rice swimming in coconut milk? Yes, i've tried that too. Most of smells along your walk through the city come from the various meats and fish being fried or barbecued right there on the street. It's a smell i haven't yet fallen in love with.

Speaking of food...it's everywhere! And it can be pretty cheap. Most malls have a food court where a meal can cost as little as $1. Of course there are also plenty of opportunities to get international foods at a higher price. I went to a crepes restaurant last weekend that cost me about $7. So, if yer ok with rice and curry (which I am so ok with) there's really no need to cook. :-) no complaints here!

To live in Bangkok I think one is required to be a compulsive shopper. There are massive malls everywhere and shopping all along the streets as well. There are day markets, night markets, weekend markets! One of the highlights for me is the large weekend market. Stall after stall filled with everything and anything you can think of! Housewares, clothing, souvenirs, furniture, you name it! The secret is to go early before the crowds hit or late when the sun won't kill you.

Then there's the traffic. Pretty much yer better off not driving. I can usually take the sky train or the metro within walking distance of where I want to go. There are rare occasions when i'm hauling things that are too awkward or heavy to carry and a taxi is necessary. Just be ready for the trip to take at lease twice as long. Today I took a taxi and it took me an hour for a trip that usually takes me 30 minutes. Luckily the cab ride only cost $5.

Ok, we'll leave it at that for now. Hopefully i'll be able to write about my new apartment next! Keep your fingers crossed!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Elissa! I love hearing about your adventures! Thanks for sharing! (By the way, this is Jessica McNeil L... I don't know if you would have recognized my green-faced picture!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of food courts Elissa, you be careful with my weight loss program. I don't think you can stand to lose 40 lbs like I did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and if you can't see a meter ALWAYS settle the price of a taxi ride BEFORE getting in.

    ReplyDelete