Saturday, August 14, 2010

Flying Fish

Thursday was the queen's birthday. I figured it was the perfect chance to use a vacation day and enjoy a 4 day weekend back at Koh Tao for more diving. I was joined by 2 friends who came on my first Koh Tao adventure with me.

Upon arrival to the resort we had stayed at just 2 weeks previously, the staff greeted us warmly welcoming us by name, expressing their excitement to see us back so soon. The found us rooms in the otherwise booked resort and we spent the first day relaxing at the beach, soaking up the sun. The second day we went for a 3 dives. The location was one we were excited about. It was raining when we loaded the boat and it was pouring as we made our way. Unfortunately, the first dive was terrible! Visibility was less than 5 meters and we had to stick close together so we didn't loose each other. We weren't able to see much on that dive. The original plan was to do 2 dives at that location but due to the visibility it was decided that we would move on to another location where visibility was reported to be 10-15 meters. On our way to the site I was sitting by the side of the boat looking at the water (it had stopped raining finally). All of a sudden I saw something leap from the water and skid across the top of the water and then disappear. I was not entirely sure what I had just seen! I looked a bit longer and it happened again but this time, whatever had skid across the water appeared to have glided across the water and then disappear. I looked at my friend whose back was turned to the water and tried to describe what I had just seen. She chuckled and said, "you mean, you just saw a fairy?" I didn't know how else to describe to her what I had seen. YES! a fairy! It must have been a fairy! She laughed and I swore to her that I saw something fly across the water. One of the dive masters came by and heard our conversation and said, "oh, did you see the flying fish?" Flying fish? Just at that moment more fish jumped out of the water and flew across the top of the water only to disappear again. Finally my friend believed me! No, it wasn't a fairy but it was truly flying fish! I had no idea such a thing really existed! We spent the rest of the boat ride enjoying the entertainment these silly fish provided.

The dive site proved to be equally entertaining! It was the first time I had experienced such amazing visibility! I was able to see so much and really enjoy the surroundings. It was a completely opposite experience from our last dive. The colors, the fish, everything was beautiful! The 3rd site was equally beautiful! Although I'd been there about 5 times before it was as if it was the first time! Everything looked so different in such clear water.

That's all I can write for now...the mosquitoes are eating me alive!!

No comments:

Post a Comment