Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Railay Beach Day 4-Seaglass and Seashells


Cheri and I have a lot of things in common...and a lot of differences. Our similarities make our friendship so much fun and our differences balance and enrich us. We often end up purchasing the same clothes, the same bed spread and we have similar hobbies. One of the hobbies we share is the collection of sea glass. Since a mutual friend introduced me to the collection of seaglass and I saw how beautiful her collection was I started my own collection. I've collected glass in the Dominican Republic, throughout Thailand beaches and wherever I can find a beach. Seaglass or beach glass as some call it, is glass that has been roughened by the waves and sand. It's washed ashore and that's where I find it.


After having seen several pieces of glass on the beach we were on the day before we decided to start day 4 combing the sands of the beach collecting the glass. Sure enough, there was plenty to collect. There were also countless seashells in such great condition and such a variety of shapes and colors that we just couldn't help not picking a few as well. After several hours walking the beach with heads down and eyes focused on picking the glass out from all the shells we neared the end of the beach. I lagged slightly behind picking up the pieces that Cheri and Nate had passed up. I found them on a sandbar jetted out into the water. They were so excited to have found several large shells in great condition.


Hot and sweaty we decided to take a break at a little restaurant on the beach. It wasn't much to look at but all we were interested in was whether or not they had cold water. What a delight to enjoy the coldest water we had found thus far. It was refreshing on such a hot day. Inside the restaurant with us was a man and woman who had obviously been traveling a long time. They were dressed in typical "backpacker" style with dreadlocks. The man was helping the owners with something computer related behind the bar and the woman was busy redesigning a crotchless pair of pants into a skirt. I wasn't particularly fond of the style she had chosen for her redesigning but I didn't have to wear it!


With 2 large water bottles emptied it was time to head back to our beach. This meant once again climbing over the boulders and walking through the water. We all made sure to check our pockets to ensure there wasn't anything electronic we didn't want to drown (having learned from yesterday's experience) and began wading back. At one point of climbing over the rocks, Cheri was in the lead and she turned back with a look of fear in her eyes and declared that she had just seen a snake. Luckily we had brave Nate with us and he went ahead looking for the snake and navigating us safely over the rocks. Once we were over we had a better view of our snake which we then found out was a lizard. Not knowing which of the snakes and lizards are venomous we were sure to take all precautions possible.


We took our loot back to the hotel, enjoyed a late lunch and then were excited to rent a kayak and go out on the water. We initially tried to fit all 3 of us into one kayak but the kayak rode so low and was so unstable that I opted out and let Cheri and Nate have a go while I enjoyed sitting on the beach soaking up the rays of the end-of-the-day sun. After about an hour I saw Cheri paddling the kayak back to shore alone. Nate's recovering shoulder just couldn't endure the activity any longer so he opted to jump ship and swim back to shore. It was then my turn to head out to the open water. With me in the back and Cheri in the front we set out. We headed around the bend and out to twin islands side by side. We paddled around them and then over to the beach we had spent the morning. It felt so good to be out in our small kayak in the big sea. The feeling of insignificance was strong as I contemplated the vast creations both above and beneath the water. I took a moment to soak in the reality of my experience. I was in a kayak, on the Adaman Sea, just off the coast of Thailand, where I live and have an amazing job, hanging out with one of my dearest friends. I seem to have a lot of these moments these days. It fills me with gratitude to God for the opportunities he has guided me to.


We paddled back to shore and as we saw that there was a wedding reception taking place. Cheri and I deviously decided that they needed the added flavor of a kayak in the back ground of their photos, so we paddled back and forth trying to get in the photos laughing hysterically! All in good fun.


Once again we ended the day with mangos and sticky rice. That night there was a fund raising fire dance for victims of the recent events in Japan. We watched for awhile and then wandered up the walking street. Nate pointed out a shop that was offering 1/2 day climbing and I signed up for the next day. How could I leave this place without enjoying the climbing? Having not climbed for about 2 years I knew it would be a tough morning and that I would feel the effects for days afterwards but I also knew that because of my Bootcamp style training which I've participated in for 9 months I was up for the challenge. Guess I'll find out tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment